17 April 2011 - 22 March 2019International
Brief history of the IYS
Here are some of the key events leading up to the declaration of 2020 as the International Year of Sound:
- Year 2011
- The ICA Board agrees on the concept of an International Year of Sound before the end of the decade.
- Year 2012
- initial planning and preference for 2019.
- Year 2013
- planning committee for discussions with UNESCO.
- Year 2014
- discussions with UNESCO via Physical Sciences sector.
- Year 2015
- Discussions with UNESCO and ambassadors.
- Year 2016
- Seed funding received from the founding supporters.
- Year 2017
- plan changes from 2019 to 2020.
- UNESCO progressing International Year of Periodic Table 2019
- Resolution on Importance of Sound approved by UNESCO Executive Board via the communication sector
- Established links with La Semaine du Son
- Year 2018
- Discussions with UNESCO and La Semaine du Son on coordination
- Year 2019
- Memorandum of Understanding with La Semaine du Son for collaboration to create an International Year of Sound in 2020.
- Establishment of structure with central events plus mobilisation of international affiliates and member societies to organise outreach events
- Formal promotion among members, confirmation of opening in Paris in Jan 2020
Contact: IYS Organizers, at firstname.lastname@example.org